In 1936 the New Zealand government purchased an independent film company called Filmcraft Ltd, located at Miramar, Wellington. The purchase was originally to allow the government to help record the 1940 Centenary celebrations, but the studio also allowed the recording of New Zealand’s contribution to the war. After the war the studio became known as the National Film Unit and was located at Miramar until 1979 when the studio relocated to Lower Hutt.
In the 1990’s the Miramar studios were acquired by Peter Jackson and now were used to film studio sections of Lord of the Rings and King Kong. The area is now the location of various studios, sound stages and production facilities, including Jackson’s Weta Workshop.
Print Type: Acknowledgement of Order
Card: KGVI 1d Yellow-green (Samuel: AE.4b)